Wegovy Side Effects go Away
Wegovy is not an unfamiliar term, especially for people who are trying to lose weight. This weight-loss drug is the first to be approved by the Food and Drug Administration for the treatment of obesity and weight management. It is now widely used in the treatment of obesity and diabetes.
However, despite how effective it is as a weight-loss drug, it has some side effects which might make you think twice before using it.
In this article, we’ll explore some of them. From the seemingly mild ones to the ones that could cause serious complications.
But before we delve into that, let’s give a brief introduction to Wegovy and how it works.
What is Wegovy?
Wegovy is a semaglutide drug that comes in form of an injection and is used to treat obesity, diabetes and also induce weight loss. Semaglutide is a medication that acts like the peptide 1 hormone in the human body which helps increase the secretion of insulin, the hormone responsible for the metabolism of sugar.
In essence, Wegovy helps treat diabetes and obesity by fastening up the breakdown of sugar in the body, thus providing energy for physical activities.
How Wegovy Works
Apart from increasing sugar metabolism, Wegovy also acts on the part of the brain that is responsible for appetite and feeding. It inspires a feeling of fullness whilst reducing that hunger and cravings. This inadvertently leads to lower calorie intake.
It is advised that Wegovy be used with physical exercises and a reduced-calorie meal plan.
Also Read 5 reason that why you don’t lose weight fast.
Side Effects Of Wegovy
Wegovy has a series of side effects, most of them are gastrointestinal and mild and might cause just a little inconvenience, others are not so mild.
Below are some of the common side effects of Wegovy:
- Stomach flu
Some of the more serious side effects of Wegovy are as follows:
- Increased heart rate.
- Kidney failure: Pepple who have a previous history of kidney problems are highly susceptible to this. This is because the common side effects such as diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting can cause dehydration and further stress the kidney.
- Depression or suicidal thoughts.
- Change in vision, especially with diabetes type 2 patients.
- Inflammation of the pancreas(Pancreatitis): This is usually characterized by severe pain in the stomach area. The pain might extend from the abdomen to the back area.
- Gallbladder problems:g, gallstones, pain in the upper stomach, jaundice, fever.
- Allergic reactions such as severe rash, swelling of the face, or tongue, itching, etc
- Thyroid tumors/ cancers: Symptoms include; shortness of breath, swelling in the neck, hoarseness, trouble swallowing, etc.
People with a history of serious medical illnesses such as cancer, kidney problems, depression, or diabetes are advised to seek medical advice before starting treatment with Wegovy. Same thing with pregnant or breastfeeding women.
You should also consult your healthcare provider about all the prescriptions and medications you are on.
More research is still being carried out on the use of Wegovy as not all of its effects are fully known.
It is therefore recommended that before you begin treatment with it, you should consult your healthcare provider.